Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Finishing Up

HA Arab commission in dappled grey


I haven't been too chatty this week. I'm really just busy finishing up a couple of deadlines and working on the commissions left in the studio. I know I've put them off for my pottery wheel long enough. I was always more disciplined than I have been recently. I can only say that I love how it feels to be working on the wheel. It's very mediative for me and relaxing. It's also wonderful to create art in a matter of 15 minutes or less.

This was probably my most favorite vessel from the "Mother's Day" batch. It unfortunately cracked when I pulled it out of the kiln for the horsehair process. I heard it pop twice and saw the crack running up along the edge. A most disheartening sight and sound. I've decided not to use this technique on any of the low fire clay vessels I've created. I'll use it only on the stoneware and porcelain pieces. I suspect these clays can handle the changes in temp. much better.

Horsehair vessel


But as you can see I am still working on horses. I'm scheduled to paint a Fraley "Sucre". I can see her in bloody shoulder and will most likely have her in my hands by the weekend. Lynn always ships so promptly. I love that. I also managed to snag a Scarlett. I promised myself that I would cool it on resins, but since my studio is fairly clean of unwanted resins for now and the urge to paint one of these lady's hit me recently I decided to jump on the email when it came through from Tumlinson.
I'm thinking roan perhaps?

Hopefully somewhere in all these color decisions and new pieces I'll get the urge to finish up a few pieces I started like my second Smittyn resin and, of course, the Stormwatch. Unfortunately for all resins involved I have to physically pass my wheel in order to get to my work station. LOL

No comments: