Thursday, May 17, 2012

Saved

"In the Nest."
Graphite, watercolor and acrylics on watercolor paper.


During breakfast the other morning my son asked me, "Mommy does the little girl mouse get saved?" He remembered that I never brought that story to a close. He had a smile on his face and I could tell he was hopeful in being the first person to see the final images once they evolved. In a way I think he was making sure I didn't forget to show him what happens in the end. I think he likes the fact that he is usually the first person to see my art and my images once they are created.

"No", I said, "She did not get saved." I told him I had not yet finished the story and he seemed satisfied that he didn't miss out on any part of the ending. He went on to finish his breakfast while I sat there with my coffee contemplating the story.

The plan WAS to have the little male mouse save the little female mouse old fashioned style with a dramatic climb up the owl nest and a flick of the fancy ribbon would seal the life saving deal. Then, they would run off into a beautiful sunset together.

But is that truly how it works any more? I don't really think so. There would be no one there climbing the nest successfully to the top, no ribbon to grab, and nothing to save her but her own self. And if she couldn't save herself she would just have to succumb to whatever was bearing down on her.

Release, surrender and accept the situation and in that release somehow it all becomes right in the end. It ends as it's suppose to end. And with that thought I wonder, how can she save herself?
Perhaps another cup of coffee will help reveal that answer.

No comments: