Friday, January 11, 2008

I Want To Pretend

I want to pretend that wishes could come true in the blink of an eye. Just for one moment, let the genie come out of the bottle and grant me just one wish. Without a doubt, today I would wish that my father-in-law never had emphysema. That I didn't just see him laying in his bed, struggling to breath, respirator doing little to nothing with his wife by his side, her heart breaking into a thousand pieces.

My selfish little self doesn't want to let go. I want to hear him share one more story of Brooklyn as he sucks down his Friday night mussels. My selfish self wants to have just one more round of happy hour today with he and my mother-in-law. Its just about that time of the day when he would call up for me, my glass of wine in his hand and cheese and crackers on the table.

Eighty four years is a long time to live. It's a shame the good ones can't go on much longer. They make the world a much better place. My father-in-law certainly did that for me. Made my little world wonderful and taught me an immeasurable amount about life and business.

Something ominous is in the air. I sense this weekend is going to be a very difficult one.

If wishes could come true I'd pull that bottle open right now and wish....
:(

No comments: