Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Another Peek at Layering

Bogucki resin waiting on the desk for dappling.

The production on this Bogucki resin has been fairly intense and time consuming, but all the layering and haring is slowly coming together. I decided to document the production on this piece so you could see exactly how some of these pieces transform.

The first layers are primarily pastels (or dry pigments) and layers of thin acrylics. The rest of the work is all acrylic.

Mapping out the pinto markings
before the dappling is added.

Several layers added for the dapples.

Close up of hairing, color and dappling
all slowly coming together.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

"By the Moonlight II"
Graphite, Watercolor and Acrylics on Paper.

Friday, July 26, 2013

Little Sparrow (and commissions)

The last two days found me not only finishing up two lovely resins, but being extremely inspired by the enormous activity at my bird feeders. There have been tons of little Sparrows enjoying the seed in the feeders and this morning I took the opportunity to try and sketch them out as they ate.

Although I prefer to sketch gesture drawings in charcoal I couldn't resist an Elmers Paintables pen just sitting on the counter. One from my son's art supply. I may have to raid his desk to see what other cool "kid" stuff he's accumulated.

Little Sparrow Sketches

Finishes on Two Resins

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Inspired (Part II)

The frame I was able to obtain from the dumpster most recently has a new look now. On it I've fully completed the acrylic painting of the landscape I saw one early evening while driving one of the country roads. I wish I could have taken more photos of the progress toward the end of this painting, but I was far to inspired to stop once I started.

If you missed the first part of this painting in progress you can find it here: Inspired.

Seriously, I need a big easel now.
Working on the floor was tiring.

The painting got away on me
at one point but I saved it.

Fleshing in more tree trunks
before covering them with branches.

"On The Way to Hillside"
Acrylic on Masonite
28" x 22"

Sunday, July 21, 2013

"By the Moonlight"
Acrylic, Graphite and Watercolor on paper.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Peek at Mixed Media

Quick covering of airbrush
color and pastels.

Since Breyerfest is happening this week I thought it would be nice to have a "how-to" painting themed post for the model horses.

I get asked quite often how I paint the horses using "mixed media" and I decided to visually document the painting process of this foal into a bay. She'll eventually be given white markings which will render her a sabino.

Slowly adding highlights using acrylics.

Another view of the acrylic work.

Pastels and pigments are then used along the
top line and blended into the acrylic work.

A small amount of water soluable oils are then
used for more shading.

More shading and more pigments till
the right color is achieved.

Color is finished. White markings can then be
added on top of the color.

Friday, July 12, 2013

Don't Panic!

"The Bully"
Graphite, Watercolor, Acrylics and
Decoupage on Watercolor paper.

Yes, more fortune cookie art this week. I absolutely couldn't resist creating something from this fortune when I opened my cookie up and saw my fortune. I certainly will try not to panic.

Full view of fortune cookie art.

Sunday, July 7, 2013


Cool frame that was being thrown out.

Once again inspiration came from the dumpster. I found a few large frames out in a large dumpster and snagged them thinking I'll maybe need them later on down the road for a project. Little did I realize that the one would turn into a project almost immediately.

For days I had the image of a hillside with trees and the sun setting behind those trees stuck in my head. I decided that masonite board in the one frame would be the perfect canvas to let this image out on and so the project began.

Although I am only a few hours into this painting I had to share the results so far as Im very excited.

Taping the frame off
and gessoning the existing painting.

Layers of acrylic paint take nicely to the gessoed board.

More paint...

...and even more paint.

More to come!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Stolen Kiss

"The Stolen Kiss"
Graphite, Watercolor and Acrylics on Paper.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Recovery After NAN

My repair table 15 minutes into the day.

The recovery period needed after my excursion to Harrisburg to attend the North American Nationals was approximately a week. (If you've been wondering what happened to the blog. Just taking a break.) In the span of three days I must have repaired well over 100 horses. Repairs ranged from correcting simple ear tip rubs and scratches to rebuilding missing ears and repairing major breaks.

There is something very satisfying for me in repairing OFs and resins for showers. There is always a happy energy that follows once the owners come to pick up their repaired piece. I love seeing their smiles and Im happy to help. I enjoy the repairs so much that I will be at more shows offering my repair service. A list of shows I'll be attending is in the works. As soon as I get approval to vendor on a couple I can list them.

Thank you to everyone who used my services at the show and a special thank you NAN Committee who allowed me vendor. Thanks!

Major break for one of the performance
horses right before their class.

The set up in my hotel room.

One of the more rare original finish Breyers I
had the opportunity to work on.