Wednesday, December 23, 2009

That Time of Year Again

Mmm...what diet?


It is that time of year again. Time for pierogi and kielbasa and oplatki. All good traditions passed down from my Polish grandma. It is with great joy I use my creative juices two days before Christmas to make our family tradition of cabbage, potato and prune pierogi. It's probably my favorite all time dish next to sushi. I only make it once a year and I am actually the only one in my family who knows how to make them. The thought occurred to me today that if my son shows no interest in learning to make them the tradition will die with me. So, I make them with joy and earnest and watch my family devour them. Out of 70 or so pierogi there will be maybe 5 left after the dinner is through. It is the highlight of our Christmas Day fest.

No comments: