Saturday, August 6, 2011

More Bar Sketching

Last night proved to be another successful live sketching night at Tommyboy's Bar & Grill. Perhaps it was the company of my very best friend Abbigail whom I've known since my first week of college that made drawing so easy. Perhaps it was the wings? I have been craving them for several weeks now. Perhaps it was the creative vibe that permeated through the room from Three Imaginary Boys...Abbi and her husband John's nephews. They played their hearts out and their drive was infectious.

I stayed out much later than I ever anticipated and got a TON of great sketches. My sketching was on which made up for all the disasters that happened in the studio earlier in the day, including spilling an entire jar of linseed oil everywhere on my desk and carpet in the office. Thankfully I've learned to leave serious artwork alone when I get clumsy.

Well, here are the best sketches from the night:

He was so serious.
Must have had a bad day?


Loved his head and neck.


There was a theme that kept repeating itself during this session and that was skulls. I had to really concentrate on skulls in order to get the drawings correct for both balding men and for those wearing hats. It all started with this guy who was bald. His head had a great shape to it and he was thin so the neck was all muscle which meant I couldn't flub anything. I had to draw this guy spot on. In an instance like this you have to visualize the skeleton underneath the skin. I think I captured the shape well. This is my second favorite drawing from the night.

She had the cutest pigtails


A hat with glasses proved
to be a challenge.


A different type of forehead


Bouncy!



I couldn't resist drawing her. Her bra was too tight and her camisole too small which caused an interesting effect in her chest to draw. It was line upon curve, upon line. She moved too much though and was way too bouncy to keep up with. I stopped struggling to capture the line when she asked the female bartender to pop a Beef Jerky down her cleavage. Sorta took the fine art aspect out of it and I couldn't help but wonder if the female bartender got tipped well when all was said and done.

Loved the tuft. Had to draw it


She was GREAT to draw.
Completely Reubenesque.
She left too soon.


My favorite drawing
of the night. She was so graceful


Awww...my cowboy!!
This was by FAR the most difficult
person to draw. That HAT...so hard to draw!!!


Hard to capture him.
Im still undecided about whether
this was a success.


Farrah is alive and well
in Nanticoke!


And last but not least, the best body to draw in the entire place last night belonged to this girl:

Full drawing



She had beautiful form and a gracefulness that I couldn't ignore. I believe I captured her dead on. She was such a pleasure to draw. Everyone was a pleasure to draw. Thank you. :)

No comments: