Friday, May 30, 2008

Cookies, Sculpture & Progress

Yummy cookies!!


Don't those cookies look yummy? I was so enamored by Rebecca Turner's new medallion sculptures that I just had to order them so I could stare at them in person. I also wanted to paint them, but now that they are here I feel they will probably be more beautiful without my paws about them. I feel this way about a few Eberl pieces I own. I just can't bring myself to touch them with paint cause I feel my work will ruin the integrity of the pieces.

~My Ophelia Sculpture~

I love when sculptures inspire and excite me. I was so jazzed by these pieces that I dove right back into two sculptures of my own. I feel a renewed sense of desire to finish what I started on this little Ophelia sculpture.

She is just a little pony walking. Don't worry, I won't be flooding the MH market with her. I can hear a few saying, "OMG that is horrid!!!" Well, yes, right now it is and perhaps when she is done she will still be unsightly, but an artist must move forward with inspiration. Even if it seems to be cruddy to others.

My little pony named Ophelia


I had always envisioned a pretty little porcelain pony with this creation. A few in resin might be nice to see in person. I'd love to paint her up with cold paints. But, I'd only have a handful made. And in handful I mean how many can I physically hold in my hand? Whatever that number is then that is the number of the resin edition. The rest I can see in porcelain.

I changed her legs a bit as I kept thinking she had issues with her lower half. She looked awkward and as soon as I shifted her legs I could see some improvement. I made some adjustments with undercuts too for china production. I'm now even more excited to see her finished.

~In Progress~

Blanks waiting to get painted this week


A few other things that are developing in the studio are a "Galina" resin and an "Oberon". I have quite a few of this little guy and want to try him out in a few different colors. For now I'm feeling "roan fever" coming on. Because I'm dying to paint roan I'm truly bursting to start the Valentin that is visiting me on commission.

Hole-y Mole-y!!!


The owner wants to see him in a roan and I'm totally on board with that color choice. Unfortunately, HE isn't on board with any of this painting non sense. He is a hole-y nightmare. Old Eberls are just nasty to prep and he is living up to that reputation. In this photo he has been prepped 3xs already. THREE!!!


~The Alborozo Dilemma~

Last, but not least is the Alborozo that stands on the other side of the studio waiting for me to make a decision about him. I am terribly tempted to paint him and I believe I am the only on on the planet that has one in hand right now.

Alborozo awaiting his future


What a golden opportunity. I'm just dying to see him in dappled buckskin going grey. I'm just DYING! I am really torn about painting him though. He's the prototype and to boot, a rather nicely painted OF copy. His hooves though, suffered damage from the JAH cover photoshoot. The botched hooves alone would totally make him a painting prospect, but alas, he waits amongst the many, many vessels I've made in the past few weeks. He and the vessels are becoming kindred spirits. I can't decide what to do with any of them! Perhaps a nice cup of coffee and apple pie ala mode will help with the decision making?

No comments: