Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Dust Has Settled???

Detail on the third floor
of the Russian Tea Room in NYC
that was totally inspiring me


I like to think that the dust settled here after the weekend, but in actuality, it didn't. More dust just got swept in the new whirlwind of events starting right about 8 PM last night with our visit to a Christmas party at the Russian Tea Room in Manhattan.

The social event brought together bankers and investors and it turned out to be an amazing networking opportunity for me. I was hit with the realization that I need to get things truly in gear when I was introduced to an importer/exporter of fine goods. Mario is interested in seeing my sculptural work and possibly presenting them in his store. That was just one of the many opportunities that presented themselves to me last night.

...Wow...

Like I said, there is lots of dust whirlin' about, but today I was more concerned with my son and his continuing boredom. Everyday for about two weeks now he has expressed (in annoying and mischievous ways) that he has been bored. Not really knowing how to handle this I promptly took him down into the studio and decided that it was time to start really teaching him about art. I neglected to do this as I feel a man with interests in art may have a strike against him. A life of creation is not a good paying one albeit it a very satisfying one. But I can't determine what profession he will choose. All I can do is make his journey to that point loving and inspiring. If I can give him love and wings he'll be just fine no matter what profession he chooses and so we ventured into the studio.

My son workin' the clay


My beloved boy ratties were moved to another section and Francesco has been given a permanent table to work in my studio. He loved every minute of today. His new space was quickly filled with clay tools and cone 06 white clay. He played for 2 hours without wanting my help. Even when I took a small break from making some award medallions he told me he needed more time alone to work on his project.

Award medallions for an upcoming show


At the end of the day we had two fairly nice (well, interesting to explain them better) ornaments for his grandmas. He was so excited to have created something he could give away to people and I loved that he was happy and his mind content with learning new things. He has already spoken about venturing down to his studio desk tomorrow. Maybe I can get him to make me one of those nifty ornaments. It would be truly treasured beyond words. Yeah, I think I need me one of those.

No comments: