Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Morning Kiln Peek

Morning peek


I woke with anticipation of opening the kiln. Did a nice slow and steady 6 hour fire yesterday. Inside were important pieces . Two coffee mugs for gifts and two ornaments made and glazed by my son.

Disappointment has been a frequent emotion upon opening my kiln recently. This morning was no different. One mug looks nice the other....lets just say.....HORRID. The glaze didn't stick in a ton of spots and the blue glaze crackled. I was assured that a very slow fire would elimate such instances of cracklin. Nope. And to boot these are gifts so I have no idea what to do about the one.

My son's ornaments, on the other hand, came out great! I was skeptical with his glaze application and his combos, but the one ornament is so pretty I want to use his combo on something in the future.

I have two thoughts in my head today before family arrive for the traditional Italian Christmas Eve celebration. One....I need to let my kiln rest. It's obvious the kiln gods are not pleased. I got it. You're off until the 1st of January. And secondly, I think Im going to let my son glaze from now on. He's got the touch with glaze.

Enjoy your Christmas festivities!

No comments: