Friday, May 6, 2011

Leap

Building up simple washes


Well, it was time to take the plunge and dive into painting the season plate I've titled "Summer." I couldn't put it off any longer. It became more stressful to sit here and look at it and think about what colors I'd use and how I would paint the piece than to paint it, so I just took a leap of faith and dove in. My drawing is already getting marred by the washes, but that's ok. I'm seeing a vision beyond just a pencil drawing now and I can't wait to see it come to fruition. I'm going to try and snag more particle boards. I'd like to start applying wash to the other two season pieces while my mind is focused on blocking out light and form.


Individual shot of washes
being built up slowly


Oliver resin in leopard appaloosa


I'm also working on another little "Oliver" resin. The hairing pattern on this resin was fun to work with and quite possibly my favorite part. I've found that working on resins in general have kept my hand very steady and has helped my illustrating. I'm not sure how this is so, but the color palette I'm using these days is very different than it used to be as is my drawing. Taking a break from illustration turned out to be rather helpful.

Speaking of breaks I'm very excited to have been invited to take a break and see the play "War Horse" at the Lincoln Center Theater today. As I type this I'm bursting with anticipation. I've watched the trailer on the website several times now and am looking forward to the onslaught of inspiration this production will no doubt give me. (Thank you Donna!!!!)

Quick shot of work desk

No comments: