Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Clay Day

Working with some clay


I knew my camera had video capabilities on it, but I didn't realize how much video it could capture in one sitting. Six minutes seems like a long time, but I guess its not when you're pulling some clay. I wound up closing up the upper portion of this vessel (which I didn't get on film) and I managed to cut a lid out cleanly.

I really would have liked you to see how I've been making these lidded vessels. The part where you stick a razor into this perfectly formed cylindrical shape is a trip! I hold my breath, stick it in and pray for the best. Today I had a successful cut. I'll try it again tomorrow and see what I can capture on film. I'll try and remember not to poke around at the beginning stages. Its a bad habit I have, especially when I'm pulling porcelain (which this was) and I always try and make sure my first pulls are nice and smooth and slow. I've really wreaked alot of pottery pulling up too fast. In time the process will be even more smooth for me.

No comments: