Friday, August 15, 2008

End of the Week

Breyer's "Newsworthy" getting new clothes


The most frequent saying I heard this week right after putting my son down for his afternoon nap was, "Mommy, I'm all done with my nap!" I believe my afternoon studio sessions are now a thing of the past. It's with sadness that I am seeing them go. Not only was the afternoon nap a refreshing quiet time for myself, it was a rejuvenating time for my son. No naps means a cranky little person right around 5 P.M. and that has been the most difficult aspect of this new period in our lives to deal with as he was never really cranky or fussy. Now, like clockwork, 5 P.M. rolls around and he cranks out.

My husband was away on business for part of the week so I did get to spend time in the studio at night. I wanted to start a ton of horses. On the work bench were Vixen, Imp, Newsworthy, an EJ and the new Fraley Rayne, but I only had time for Newsworthy and Rayne. I'm struggling with both horses. I'd love to tell you that my mind was/is focused on pastel painting, but that would be a little white lie. It isn't. My mind is off on clay. Bad matte spray is not helping with my focus either. Between my mind wandering (badly) on the pottery wheel and this awful batch of spray, I'm hoping I can finish both pieces soon because both are really lovely and have wonderful promise in the performance show ring.

Lynn Fraley's "Rayne" resin


For over 8 years I have successfully used the Citadel Varnish products on my work. Every so often they would change the formula for their matte spray. In some instances it made it better, but this last change, which I was told was a "super green" change, has completely ruined the product. There is no more tooth which is rendering a terrible application and worse, the product leaves a white film on the horse. It's a powdery look that is totally undesirable.

I'm all for going green to an extent, but leave some things be! I mean honestly, the car shops along McDonald Ave. here in Brooklyn spew more toxins in the air than a hobby spray can ever will. You literally get HIGH walking down that street! I have to wonder if they have gone "super green". Sure doesn't smell like it.

Large bowl in porcelain.
Too large for my kiln I fear


So now I am on a hunt for a new matte spray and have decided to just jump in and try a bunch. I just need one with a little bit of tooth so the pastels will stick. My work, for the most part, is mixed media. Once I have the base color down in pastels I hit the acrylics and have taken a liking to transparent layering with Liquitex acrylics. Of course, Testors is the old matte spray stand by and I do have a few cans in the house, but I honestly don't like this product as much as the Citadel and I am determined to find a larger replacement. For the upcoming weekend though, I think I'll just hang with my pottery wheel. It's become a more reliable and cherished friend.

No comments: