Friday, June 6, 2008

Firin' Friday

Wares glazed and waitin' for some heat


It's a dreary, chilly day here. Perfect for firin' up the kiln!

I glazed a few vessels this week. I was happy to find that they were dry and ready for the kiln this morning. Nine o'clock sharp they went into the kiln. Today is a bit of an experimental day. I bought a new collar which raised my kiln up by about 4". I ran a test fire a few weeks ago but it took many, many hours to reach <04.

Kiln at its normal size


New collar raising the kiln height


Of course, I had a shelf placed in the kiln that was much larger than the one I am using this morning. I believe that shelf prevented the upper portion of the kiln to get the proper amount of heat, so this smaller shelf should work much better. My rice bowl sits perfectly in the spot too!

I'm trying every which way to deal with the fact that I really need a larger kiln. I'm not sure this solution works, but there are definitely some advantages to having the higher collar. I can now fire a few of the larger vases I threw on the wheel and I can finally fire my bisque Pixie without worrying about her head frying to a crisp! LOL

No comments: