Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Overflow

Freshly trimmed bowl with mistake


Having my studio in the basement has it's good points and bad. For the most part, it's been great. No worry about being messy. No more sweating out the summer while trying to work, cause its always cool down there. Working in the basement, however, does have one major downfall. It floods. For the past two days I have had the displeasure of dealing with overflow from the sewage line.

Since we moved my studio down to the lower regions of the house I've had to deal with flooding about three times now. I've learned to keep all my storage units on wheels and to keep everything important up high. Because I learned my lesson during the first flood, clean up was not as painful this time around, but still time consuming. There were a million things I wanted to do other than mop up icky water.

After the clean up was finally finished I did have a few moments to trim some of the new vessels I made about four days ago. The bowl above was coming along wonderfully till I trimmed the bottom a little too far. I tried to salvage it the best I could, but the repair turned into a huge bubble-like impression. Inspiration kicked in and the bowl became a great opportunity to create something unique! Pop a snail sculpture in there and walla! A more interesting creation!

Snail on the bottom


With everything back to normal in my studio I'm very excited to see this piece all glazed up! I have so many color combinations going through my head right now and I'm ichin' to glaze up a dozen other pieces I pulled. There is much to do this week!

No comments: