Monday, June 2, 2008

Weekend Deadlines

Sneak peek at my RESS project


Normally, I wouldn't even think of missing a deadline. When that deadline lands on a weekend though, all bets are off on me getting the work in on time. My RESS deadline fell on a Sunday and I spent time here and there this past weekend trying to get it completed to no avail. I finally just gave up and saved all my final tweaking and editing for today. So, for a portion of the afternoon and evening I worked on RESS stuff.

Molded in earthenware clay


Early on in the year I was asked to write some newbie articles for them and I gladly accepted. It has been nice exploring favorite subjects like mold making and painting techniques, but with a beginner in mind. I honestly enjoy writing for newbies more than I do for more experienced artists. Newbies have an innocent desire to learn that is infectious. In most cases they will dive in blindly and try a technique. I have always found that to be the best way to learn. Dive in and just try everything that you can.

I guess in a way I miss my newbie days too. The days of my heart racing over a Zimmer custom or the latest pinto by Cook are long behind me now. Although I truly enjoy seeing what all the other sculptors and painters are up to and my heart does race over much of the stuff I see, it never races like it did way back when.

Now, I really enjoy seeing what our new artists are up to. Even the ones who have not really come close to gaining a solid handle on their chosen mediums. I can always see the artistic sparkle in these works and while everyone is calling it trash, I can't help but see it as art. To me it's some one's heart on a 3-D canvas. It is always most inspiring.

I hope my articles for RESS will be an inspiration to our newbies and that they will be well received. For more information regarding joining RESS or viewing the future mold making article please visit the following link: Realistic Equine Sculpture Society.

Work from my newbie days

No comments: