Sunday, June 8, 2008

Outdoor Studio

Pool, Pepsi and painting


Wow! What a scorcher of a day we had yesterday. I believe it reached 90 degrees here in NYC. It sure felt every bit of that number.

On hot days we all head out and enjoy the sun. I set up the kiddie pool for my son Francesco (which he and all his action figures thoroughly enjoyed) and for myself, set up the painting station on the deck and spent some time working with the Scarlett.

The heat and humidity were killer on the acrylic work though and I found myself looking for new ways to combat the fast drying paint. In the middle of my dilemma I believe I found some answers I had been searching for with regards to acrylic paint and glazing. Everything I did to Scarlett yesterday looks smooth and the transitions between pastel and acrylic are still seamless this morning. Now my head is swimming with ideas and I'm dying to get back into my studio to explore glaze layering a bit further.

But enough of the artsy-fartsy talk. I want to share two "hot day" photos with you. First one is of our lovely pond. The fish looked so happy after their water change.
Koi pond shimmering in the sun


Next "hot day" photo is of our unfortunate outdoor table. We heard a "CRASH" and ran around looking for the cause. I am still speechless at the damage the sun (I guess) caused to this outdoor table.

What the?


It was sold as an outdoor table. Could withstand all temps they said. Aaah...I'm thinking, no! But, the table isn't new so the problem is ours and although the clean up is not going to be fun, the future of this table is hopeful. I am sorta excited about the possibility of creating something new. I'm thinking a wood top with hand placed mosaic chips (mostly china I broke and had been saving for years that I didn't have the heart to throw in the trash) might render a very fun project for me and the outcome a more gorgeous table in the end.

Have a great Sunday!

No comments: