Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Two Vases

Quick shot of Scarlett and two vases


Today I have two vases and a Scarlett getting ready for final trimming and tweaking. I'm thrilled with how high I was able to pull up the vases and am very happy with how the Scarlett resin came out in her appaloosa coat.

Last night I spent quite a lot of time with the Scarlett resin in hopes of finishing her by Thursday or Friday. If all goes well tonight she will be complete and ready for her final studio shots tomorrow night. While I painted her I fired up the kiln to cone 6.

Newest stoneware vessels


I had a few smaller stoneware vessels inside and I knew I piled on the glaze, but didn't think too much of it since I've piled glaze on before. Turns out it was just a little TOO much glaze and the excess stuck to the bottom of my kiln. Even with kiln wash on I had to rip the vessels from the floor thus creating substantial craters in my kiln floor. Perhaps I needed to add more kiln wash before I fired up? I'm not really sure, but I will be more careful next time I glaze up my stoneware. The glaze colors though made up for the disappointing accident. The colors are amazing and flow into each other so interestingly.

No comments: