Wednesday, November 12, 2008

More Inspirations

This time last week I was rushing about trying to get ready for my visiting guests. I'll be honest, I was worried and I had some concerns about meeting two people I had only talked to online. I was also nervous about some of the activities they wanted to enjoy in NYC. How would three of us enjoy The Met together? In the past this has never worked with others. Ultimately I questioned what the fascination was with Steph and this Gordon Ramsay.

Porcelain at the Met


I have to laugh now cause the moment Steph and Barb got into the car it was like I was picking up family from the airport. We jumped right into conversation and it continued well into the night over Chinese food and a good bottle of Robert Mondavi. I made sure to order extra Chinese food cause I was convinced we'd be starving after visiting the Ramsay restaurant the next day.

The first thing all three of us did once our feet hit The Met was head to "The Horse Fair". Along the way we all got lost in this painting or that sculpture and somehow we all managed to quietly bump into each other again after an hour or so. I felt comfortable being with them and I didn't feel any hesitation in pulling out my sketchbook to pen down my thoughts.

From The Sketchbook


Notations on vessels


Designs & formulas for china painting


I was urning to view sculpture and pottery. If it was a vessel or it was shiny I was there gawking at it. I saw so much china that fascinated my little brain that I had to take a powder with a nice bottle of water and some Excedrin. It was just far too much information and my head was spinning. I am so glad I decided to take aspirin with me. In past visits to The Met I suffered with an all day migraine because of the visual stimulation. This time though I was determined to be fully ready to take on Gordon Ramsay. I was really ready to add to the list of questionable critiques he received online for his restaurant The Maze.

Food As Art


There's a scallop under there


It's eggplant dressed to the hilt


As luck would have it for Gordon, his wait staff was totally charming and his food, I must admit, was pretty spectacular. If there is a recession going on you'd hardly know it by the way the place was filling up as we sat enjoying our bread. And let me tell you, this was not regular hunk-o-bread they plopped on the table. It was fancy schmancy gourmet bread that was gently placed with care and yes, we asked for seconds cause it was like bread of the gods.

Actually, everything we ordered was not only the most gorgeous food we had ever viewed and totally camera worthy, but it danced on the palette like no other food we have tasted. And I have been to many, many restaurants and affairs here in the city. It's probably a very bad thing that I am craving more of it. I'd have to make a heck of a lot more to sustain THAT kind of habit, but it was an excellent ending to a perfect day filled with art and inspirations. It's still resonating.

No comments: