Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Out of It

Today was one of those, "Wrong side of the bed" days. I was cranky and miserable within myself. Housework seemed to overwhelm. Artwork was a chore. My kiln took forever to fire and there were, of course, more glaze issues to deal with. Sigh. Even playing with my son wasn't fun. I admit it. It just wasn't. I didn't feel happy at all today no matter how hard I tried and then a good friend from high school sent along one of those chain letters. Not the kind where if you don't send to ten more friends you'll have a bad luck witch descend upon your house for the rest of your life. It was something very striking and instantly made me rethink my day and say,

• Thank God I have the ability to go down three flights of stairs to the basement to do the laundry and back again all day long.
• Thank God I was given a wonderful talent to use anyway I choose.
• Thank God for modern conveniences I can use at my whim.
• Thank God for my son and husband who make my life beautiful and complete.
• And thank God for those men and women who risk their lives for us here to live our lives happy or sad or anyway we choose.

I feel much happier now. Here is the letter my friend sent. Thanks Mike for making me smile today and for helping to readjust my thinking.


PO2 (EOD2)(Explosive Ordnance Disposal) Mike Monsoor, a Navy EOD
Technician, was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor posthumously
for jumping on a grenade in Iraq , giving his life to save his fellow
Seals.

During Mike Monsoor's funeral in San Diego , as his coffin was being
moved from the hearse to the grave site at Ft. Rosecrans National
Cemetery, SEAL's were lined up on both sides of the pallbearers route
forming a column of two's, with the coffin moving up the center.  As
Mike's coffin passed, each SEAL, having removed his gold Trident from
his uniform, slapped it down embedding the Trident in the wooden
coffin.

The slaps were audible from across the cemetery; by the time the
coffin arrived grave side, it looked as though it had a gold inlay
from all the Tridents pinned to it.  This was a fitting send-off for a
warrior hero.



This should be front-page news instead of the crap we see every day.

Since the media won't make this news, I choose to make it news by
forwarding it onto you .. I am damn proud of our military. If you
are proud too, please pass this on.  If not then rest assured that
these fine men and women of our military will continue to serve and
protect.


Thank you

No comments: