Sunday, January 4, 2009

Without at Mezcal's

Crayon and graphite sketch
of Mezcal's in Bay Ridge


We went out last night for drinks and a few laughs with close friends. The 80 minute wait for Outback was unreasonable so we found ourselves cruising the Bay Ridge area for eats and we found ourselves at a Mexican restaurant called Mezcal's.

I'm game for anything and I especially love a good margarita so waiting for a table wasn't an issue. The whole placed smelled wonderful and the servers were really very polite and kept us updated on the status of our table as we waited. I specifically didn't bring my sketchbook or camera last night because my sketching, when we go out with close friends, really bothers my husband. My attention wanders off and I get caught up in colors and form and I tend to retreat from the conversations and it becomes annoying for everyone. So, I left the art goodies on my night stand.

Boy, was I wrong for leaving those items home! Not only was this place full of life with so many different types of people enjoying their meals, but the place was the most colorful restaurant I have EVER had the pleasure of dining in. There were tons of fun things to look at on every inch of the walls. The tables had a myriad of hand painted tiles to enjoy too and the big chili pepper heart that hung from the ceiling was a trip. That heart totally directed you to the bar which, I must add, made the very best frozen margaritas I think i have ever tasted. The moment you asked for a drink it was served.

Every bit of food that was placed on the table was fresh and delicious and we wound up ordering doubles of a few items like the guacamole because it was just so yummy. The food and the fun atmosphere proved to be a perfect pair for a night out with friends. We will return, but next time I WILL bring my camera and sketchbook, although I think I captured some of the "flair" of Mezcal's with crayons fairly well this morning.

Find or review a restaurant in your area at: Urban Spoon.

Mezcal's D'Os Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments: