Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Dapples

Light oil glazes in areas
where dapples will fall.

Dapples have always given me a challenge. I suspect they will always be a challenge as well because there seems to be so many ways to approach this unique haring pattern.

Over the years I have tried many different methods to create dapples. From airbrushing dots onto the surface to painting open circles each technique had it's pros and cons. The current method I've become comfortable with seems to be working for me and as I was layering pattern down on this (soon to be) unicorn I decided to document one of the dappling techniques.

After oils have dried spray with a matte sealant.
Slowly layer thinned acrylics on top of the oils.

Keep adding dapples and following reference.

Add color around the dappled spots to
help bring them out further.



No comments: