Thursday, September 25, 2008

150 lbs Later

Newest porcelain pieces


One hundred and fifty pounds was about the amount of clay I started off with when I purchased my little Shimpo wheel. After all that clay had been thrown and fired I am now just starting to get pieces that I am truly and sincerely happy with.

I have worked with earthenware white, earthenware mocha, stoneware and the ever evasive porcelain. My preference of clay still stands with porcelain. It's smoothness is intoxicating. It's gorgeous even in the bisque state and it glazes up flawlessly. And the most thrilling aspect to making porcelain pottery is if you add a tea light inside the vessel, it will glow. No other clay has captured my attention and heart like porcelain. Porcelain and I are a good match.

One of the first from my wheel


I searched the blog this morning for a photo of one of the very first vessels I pulled from my new wheel and felt so thrilled to show off. I have to laugh now. Its so wonky! I was so proud to show it off though. I'll be excited to see where my pottery making adventures take me in the NEXT few months! It's an exciting time in the studio.

No comments: