Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Storytime

A quick snapshot of me and my brother JJ


When I was younger I couldn't stand my little brother. He seemed so fragile and whiny to me. I always thought my parents liked him best. Overhearing how my father was excited to finally get his boy really put the mischievous wheels in motion for me. Rotten apples, aluminum cans and even smooshy caterpillars were all used as ammo for one little blond moving target. My arm then was dead on.

As the years went by we became closer and a true friendship started to evolve. One annual ritual we both adored was our family trip to Dorney Park. With picnic baskets galore and the hibachi we always made our way through a welcoming Alfundo past the big turn on the Journey To The Center of The Earth ride where we plopped all our food and belongings on colorful picnic tables near the last dip of the "big yellow" roller coaster. Every few minutes we delighted in watching the passengers scream as the coaster cars came zooming past us. Once in a while we'd find some lost change from coaster patron pockets which was quickly used on skeet ball in the arcade.

Detail of one of the beautiful rides
at Knobles Park


Over the years this park lost its charm. It's very commercial now and is no longer the Dorney of my childhood. It was a loss for us and my heart sinks every time I think of my son not being able to enjoy the amusement park my brother and I once loved as children.

Recently, my parents found a new park to visit and for two years now we have enjoyed the sounds, sights and yummy delights of Knobles Park. It is a family run park that has captured the days of old. This past weekend my brother and I got to relive our childhood together while watching my son enjoy his first amusement park rides. We both agreed that although the memories of Dorney linger with sadness, new memories are a treasure too and I'm so very glad we had this past Labor Day Weekend to share with one another. I walk away with amazing new memories and can't wait till next summer when we can enjoy all the fun stuff Knobles has to offer again. Love you J.

No comments: