Saturday, September 6, 2008

"French Duo"

"French Duo"
RESS summer contest medallion in mixed media
click for larger image


I woke to find the results of the RESS summer medallion contest waiting in my inbox. I received a fifth place, which for this contest was last. Still, I had alot of fun painting the piece and I have another limited edition Sarah Minkeiwicz-Bruenig resin sculpture added to my collection.

I must have misread the contest instructions as I had no idea I was suppose to name the piece. If I had named it it would have been titled: "French Duo" as the color and treatment were inspired by Rosa Bonheur's painting "The Horse Fair" which hangs at the Met. The hind quarters on the horse in the forefront of that painting have always intrigued me. The dapples are amazing and that horse in particular was the sole inspiration for my color choice on this medallion.

Ah well, I still had fun and it was really cool to see how other artists interpreted this piece. And since it is rare for me to actually finish a piece for MYSELF I am happily placing this piece in the china cabinet this morning to enjoy.

Speaking of the morning....my boys are off on an adventure so I'm alone and free to play on the pottery wheel as long as I like. So...without further adieu....I'm off to play with clay.

No comments: