Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sweet Toot Where Art Thou?

Pan Learns Music

"Limber-limbed, lazy god, stretched on the rock,
Where is sweet Echo, and where is your flock?
What are you making here? "Listen," said Pan, --
"Out of a river-reed music for man!"
~ Henry Van Dyke


Failed attempts at ocarinas this weekend
(Yes the ones in the back felt the wrath of my fist)


Everything came to a halt the moment I read this week's collection of the "Ceramic Arts Daily" articles. One word stirred up emotion and longing in me and since reading the word "Ocarina" I have been on a rapturous quest to make and play my own hand made clay ocarinas.

I have always wanted to learn an instrument. Growing up it was something I couldn't have. Either there wasn't enough money or there weren't any music teachers were we lived. Most of the time mom just said, "NO" without any further explanations. I remember trying every which way to get those lessons. It just never happened. Many, many years later I still long to learn an instrument and up until this past weekend never knew I could turn mud INTO music right here in my studio! Of course, this is easier said than done and I am frustrated because I can't get my creations to make one TOOT let alone proper notes, but I press on. My mind is literally consumed with thought about fipples and sound holes right now.

My muse is off on such a wild tangent. I'm not even going to try and figure this one out. I'm just goin' with the flow and hopefully (soon) the flow will bring on a sweet toot from within the hollow mud.

No comments: