Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My Poor Boy

Strong chemical-smelling ooze


My poor Doris Lindner resin "Top Secret" is oozing. Before my husband and I workout in the living room in the morning I move the big boy from his shelf in the china cabinet. He is a large, solid cast resin and he wobbles just slightly when we run and do jumping jacks. For about four months now I moved him without seeing any issues. Today, there was oozing.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this piece. I'm just glad I never sold him. I took off his bows and wiped down his ribbon. The problem seems to be coming from where I glued the bows. I used Zap A Gap and baking soda. I'd hate to think that this combination of products on top of resin causes reactions. Nothing else has gone bad on the horse. I'll wait, watch and see.

It's days like this that make me want to just forget resin completely and turn all my attention to china and china painting. The only thing that can harm china is crazing (and some people like this effect) or a fall. Once the piece has been created and painted its good forever.

No comments: