Sunday, September 28, 2008

Teapot Take Two

New Teapot (close up)


Hopefully, I got the teapot right this time. I've been working for several days straight just trying to get my teapot finished and ready for the fall outing and I think I correctly fixed the spout issues and the lid problem.

The spout itself was very basic and rather chunky and unappealing so I spruced it up a bit by shaving down the shape to be more feminine and added a goldfish. The fish was a last minute "a-ha" moment and I just ran with it. I believe it helped distribute the weight of the spout better. Before, all the weight seemed to be on the bottom portion. Which, I will confess, I really struggled with. I pulled a straight spout and then flared out the bottom portion a bit but cutting that shape on an angle and getting it to sit properly against the pot was truly a challenge. I still feel like I fumbled my way through that one. I'm going to try and make another teapot this week and I want to attach the spout better and in a more beautiful way. With each one I'm sure it will get easier.



Overall, the spout on both teapots (this one and the first one) proved to be the most difficult part of this project. And, I did test this new one in the leather hard stage to see if it would hold the proper amount of water. It does, but I didn't let the water sit fully in the pot and I didn't pour. I'll leave the real tests for after the firing. Wish me luck. ;)

No comments: