Monday, March 5, 2012

Charcoal Transfer

Freshly painted ceiling
Felt the color should extend down the wall.


The entire weekend found me disliking everything I made. I was most unsatisfied with a house project I started on Friday. By Sunday I found myself disliking what I had made so badly that I just painted over about five hours of work. Looking back on the photographs taken, I'm not so sure it was as bad as I thought. I did document the process of "charcoal transfer" onto a wall and was excited to show off what I had made. At this point though I'm sharing it because perhaps it might be of some use to someone.

Looking back now I'm not sure what I didn't like about the finish on this decorative corner. All I know is the more I looked at it on my wall the more I disliked it. It's now just a plain wall like the very first photo.

Dover books used as
decoration inspiration.


Tracing paper taped to the corner.
A free form drawing drawn straight on the paper
(You can trace a design too if you prefer.)


Turn tracing paper around
and rub charcoal on the entire design.



Reposition the tracing paper back on the wall
and retrace the drawing using a pencil.
A light drawing in charcoal is left on the wall.


Paint the design using the ceiling color.


Finished design.


"End of Flight"
Graphite, Watercolor and Acrylics on archival bristol.

No comments: