Thursday, March 8, 2012

Creative Drains

The drain of creativity


Every time it would rain I would watch water start collecting in my basement. It never seemed to dry up and was always there. I worked about the wetness. I figured wet was just par for the course here in my basement. After all, I haven't even been here that long so I have no idea what is "typical" in this house and what isn't.

There were drains and french trenches everywhere in my basement which were in place when I purchased the house and in these parts water in the basement is typical. My parents would be lost without their sump pump and I know my neighbors all complain of the same basement water issues. I automatically figured previous owners made provisions for this house's winter water issue.

When more and more water started pouring in it became crucial that I do something about it and yesterday was that day. I had no idea how very much this water issue, even a little dampness, was effecting my creativity. When it became apparent that it wasn't just winter water, but a huge break in the line that had been seeping in I automatically flipped out. This water issue has been a huge creative drain on me and although I'm fairly good at keeping issues at bay while I need to work this one became a monster that blew up yesterday when I found out it wasn't just a little issue, but a big one.

I woke this morning knowing that there was no more water issue and that most of what drained into my house had drained out during the night through the french trenches and drains. I am back on a creative roll today. There is an underlying happiness that has been missing for some time. This huge weight was lifted and I can't stop drawing and I can think more clearly.

In Progress In The Studio


Sketches for mouse family commission


Another sketch for
the mouse family commission


Quick desk shot


Little Lonestar in progress


"The Rescue"
Graphite, Watercolor and Acrylics on archival bristol


"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
Friedrich Nietzsche

No comments: