Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Lake

Painting station complete with samples from Renoir and Manet.
Two of my favorite Impressionists


My travels found me at Nuangola Lake yesterday for the annual dock lighting ceremony. Each year a theme is chosen and everyone's dock is decorated with the theme and lights. It's a most pretty celebration which inspired me to no end. It was the first time I ever attended this event.

I was enthralled with the lake and the houses around the lake. I loved the little stone paths to the water's edge and all the pretty landscaping everyone had done. There were paths and bridges and turtles and Herons and water lilies. The water and scenery were captivating. It's no surprise that I got lost in a painting today of a little portion of the lake that inspired me.

The lilies proved to be a most challenging subject in perspective, shape, color and composition. I'm not 100% happy with the painting, but there are aspects I am happy with. Not every piece comes out fantastic, but each one is a learning tool. Today's adventure in paint was, without a doubt, a hard lesson.

I documented the painting process.









"The Water Lilies"
Acrylic on canvas board


No comments: