Sunday, July 6, 2008

Good Mail

Alborozo in progress


Before the weekend started I received two items in the mail that thrilled me. First item was a manilla containing two complimentary copies of the newest Just About Horses. I am so happy to see my original cover idea gracing the front of the magazine. There was no other idea worthy of Brigitte's gorgeous new Spanish horse, IMO. The beach, sun and the Eberl all fit together perfectly. I'm glad to see that they finally decided it did too.

The other photo shoot I worked on, after the first idea was squashed, was also gracing the pages of JAH. I was rather upset originally when they told me to reshoot. I decided that the best solution was to add product. I went wild putting product in that second shot. Lots and lots of product. The old Breyer barn (CMed of course) is in there, and their dolls, and even some Breyer horse poop made an appearance in that photo. It turned out well, but I don't feel it had the same romance and impact as the first. I'm also glad to see it was used. Makes all the hard work worth while.

The prototype and the new guy primed


The second good mail item that arrived was my second copy of Alborozo. I had a feeling this guy would be wonderful to paint and he really is. The second copy, which came in the official Breyer box with special gold stamping on belly, was paintined as pretty as the prototype. I sat and compared them before I started to prep. The dapples were pretty and nicely placed on the model and his color was just beautiful. Of course, I say "was" since this guy underwent change. So far, the painting process has been smooth and seamless and most importantly, fun. The amount of correct detail that Brigitte puts into her work is mind boggling. I'd love to hop into her mind for about five minutes while she is sculpting. She sculpts like we breath....effortlessly.

I decided to document his painting sessions and make some sort of tutorial out of it. Perhaps it will be published in JAH. Perhaps not. They seem to be using new people for their "How To" section here and there and I have not had an opportunity to have another pastel tutorial published this year. I do understand the need for new blood in the magazine, but still like to share a pastel article at least once a year. In any case, I'm taking lots of photos of the process before this boy is finished and goes up for auction. So, definitely stay tuned! ;)

Well, time to prepare for another day of family, friends and food.

No comments: