Thursday, July 17, 2008

Solid Time

Comparing the sculpt to the models


I've had some good, solid time with my rat sculpture this week and when I got really stuck on it I decided to head on down and compare some notes with the real models. When working with live, moving models you just have to sit, observe, and just wait for specific areas to come into view. At this stage I was confused about the amount of wax I had taken off the piece. Far too much was eliminated and my sculpture looked emaciated compared to the live models.

The gals in the picture are "Fawn" and "Bluebell". They are two of four pet rats that I enjoy sharing my home and studio with. I know some of you might be cringing at the thought of such a pet and such a sculpture! "Why?" You may ask. You know, honestly, I have always loved rodents. Something so darned cute about their squishy bodies and their perky ears. Perhaps it was my love of Beatrix Potter and her fabulous illustrations of mice having tea and sewing that set my gears from fear to love.

I don't really know, all I know is that I've always had a real soft spot for them and nothing else seemed to comfort me as wonderfully as my little dumbo rat "Odin" when my father-in-law was ill and dying earlier this year. Yeah, that shocked me too. Who knew? (shrug). Every night though, after being drug through the emotional ringer I would head on down to see my Odin. His sweet little hay smelling self would somehow comfort me. My next rattie sculpt will be dedicated to him. There are several rat sculpts in my head. All are dying to come out into the open. Once I finish this one I'll explore the others. I promised myself that I would finish this one before starting anything else. I refuse to get sidetracked off this path again.

Page from my sketchbook


I've also had some good solid time on my wheel. My goal for the remainder of this month is to explore lidded pots, which are very difficult to produce IMO. I'm struggling to get the lids just right. I'm getting there though and I anticipate by the end of the summer I'll have some really good pieces. No over hang on the lid. No shimmy when the pot is held either. The lid must fit perfectly. Making that happen requires calipers (which of course I do have) and a steady hand and good eye. You have to stop pulling the lid when it sorta "looks" just about right, measure the lid against the thrown vessel and hope it will fit. It's been a challenge, but a good one.

No comments: