Friday, July 18, 2008

Resisting Change

"Boy with the lazy eye"
sketchbook drawing


I'm the kind of person who resists change. From moving furniture around in a room, to letting go of old, familiar (but worn) things, to watching my son grow. Change is just uncomfortable with me. Perhaps because it is the only thing in this world that is consistant. You can always rely on change to do it's job.

For the past two years I have been fighting changes within the computer world. Fighting to learn new programs cause well, I'm a mom now. I'm my own boss too and who needs to learn another layout program when your hands are covered in clay? There isn't even a formidable miniature equine magazine to enjoy or design an advertisement for any how and I have known and have used Adobe Quark as a professional for years now. It was perfect for the job.

"Fuzzy running pony"
Quick sketch from sketchbook


Unfortunately, things in the professional world change faster than change changes itself and now Quark is no longer the industry standard for layout or design. Even small printing shops have changed gears and are using InDesign. I'll be honest, I gave the program about one second worth of my time. I did this maybe three times, tops. Never got the hang of it. I walked away feeling grumpy and mad at whomever decides what is "in" and so my copy of InDesign sat on my computer unused for two years.

In The Distance
Very quick sketch in book


My husband hates change too. I believe that is one of the many reasons we get along well. When things change in his job situation he gets grumpy (just like me). Yesterday he hesitantly, but sweetly asked me for help. The company he works for let go the designer who helps with flyers. Poof! Gone, and now he was responsible for getting mortgage flyers designed himself.

He asked me to show him how to use Quark. Our old computer, which has been sitting dormant upstairs for about a year, has the program, but the computer is old and he was never a good student of computer stuff, nor was he a designer. He knew this and I could tell by the sound of his voice on the phone that things were sounding bleak.

My heart went out. I just couldn't let him struggle trying to design as he never was nor will he be (I don't think) a designer. He was always an illustrator (and a gosh darned good one!). Also, the old computer is OLD and the screen hurts the eyes. Lastly, there was that issue of Quark being dead and all.

Christmas design for 08


So, I decided to dive into InDesign last night. Not for me, or for any model horse advertising or banners, but for him. I suppose my mind was fairly open last night because as I was reading the small tutorial that comes with the program the little lightbulb started going on inside. Everything started to look familar like a drive down a road you used to travel years ago and didn't realize you were back on again. InDesign was JUST like Illustrator 6! That was the very first Adobe program I ever learned and here it was again, with new clothes on!!!

I can't begin to tell you how very thrilled I am with this new found knowledge. In the end, I finished the flyer, made a template and all will be well for hubby and his dilemma. The very best part is that I'm also now on board with every major publisher once again. What a great night.

No comments: