Monday, April 16, 2012

Birthday Cake

The little ones come out
to play on my son's birthday


I seem to have misplaced (or lost) many things in the move from Brooklyn to Pennsylvania. This time around I discovered that my grandmother's bundt pan is missing, lost or gone. I've searched the cabinets, the studios and several unopened boxes to no avail. A few months ago I remember thinking to myself that I hadn't seen that pan in a while, but thought nothing of it till this morning when I went to make my son's birthday cake. No pan. No nothing to bake a cake in really, except a flat square pan used to reheat food.

Panic!

Being creative means becoming adventurous and inventive in the face of necessity. I managed to create a fairly lovely cake with that flat pan and even iced the finished product without ripping it to shreds. But as has been the case, the little mice popped into my brain while icing and before I knew it I was up in the studio creating little paper toppers cause well, I've misplaced all the action hero and Nicelodeon cake toppers....somewhere.....in either this state or the other. By the way, Strathmore Watercolor paper (sold in the pad) makes a very sturdy cake topper.


They moved around the cake
a bit during the party.

No comments: