Thursday, April 19, 2012

I Love Junk

Repainting a terra cotta planter.
Step one: black.


I love junk. I love discarded junk. I love other people's junk. I will slam on the brakes in the car if there is good junk on the side of the road. Junk is awesome.

There is a spot in the woods I check every time I go for a walk. It's filled with junk. Every time I check there is always some wonderful junk to take home with me. Yesterday, the choice junk was blue stone slate and discard brick, which I actually need for my backyard bistro project. Score!

My good friends know me well. They know I love junk. They laugh at that. My close friends however give me junk. They give me THEIR junk when they are done with it because they know I can use it and I suspect they get excited seeing how I re purpose their junk.

This week I met with my old college buddy Abbi who has an appetite for fabric and silk flowers. For her wedding she couldn't stop purchasing flowers. I suppose she didn't want to get caught without enough for her affair. She over purchased and the extra soon became junk taking up space in her home. She got into a cleaning jag recently and all of those unused flowers which once held promise were now a real annoyance. Before she tossed them though she asked if I could use them. Honestly I didn't have a use for them, but I knew once I had them in the studio I WOULD find a use and I did! I turned them into a pretty bouquets! In the process I also happened to rejuvenate my spirits for commission work and am on a wonderful creative high.

Huzzah!

So, if you are attending Vicky Bartlow's Bloomsburg show these pieces (and more) will be available for purchase. Don't forget...Mother's Day is approaching!

Terra cotter planter step 2: light green


Terra cotta planter step 3: high whites
dry brushed onto planter




Arrangements made with silk flowers
and various planters










Butterfly wall plaques

No comments: