Monday, October 20, 2008

A Clown (I mean) Artist's Prayer

Further progress on two resins


This week is packed with studio work, family affairs and some meetings at my church. Being involved in several ministries can be draining and taxing to studio work, but it is also extremely fulfilling and inspirational. Today at a St. Vincent DePaul meeting (we help feed the homeless) our dearest and most beloved member of this ministry (who is also a part time clown on the weekends for parties and events) prayed a prayer which apparently all Christian clowns say before an event.

I was taken by the prayer I had to look it up online. I think that in place of the word "clown" the word "artist" could be easily added. Afterall, I think we also cheer people up and our art makes them happy. At least, that is what my brain tells me some of the time about being an artist. Anyway, I thought it was very beautiful and it's been occupying my mind ever since he read it. I thought I'd share it with you all. :)

Dear Lord,

Help me create more laughter than tears, disperse more happiness than gloom, spread more cheer than despair.

Never let me grow so big that I fail to see the wonder in the eyes of a child or the twinkle in the eyes of the aged.

Never let me forget that I am a clown...that my work is to cheer people up, make them happy, and allow them to forget momentarily all the unpleasant things in their lives.

Never let me acquire financial success to the point where I will discontinue calling upon my Creator in the hour of my need or acknowledging Him in the hour of my Plenty.

- Amen

No comments: