Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Unfinished Projects in 2008

Currently for sale with
"way back in the day" reserve. Link.


Today the heat was on when I woke up. It's been very chilly. I believe we may just zip past fall and get right into winter in a few weeks. Sunday we started to really feel the weather change and I had a huge burst of energy that day. Later in the evening I used that energy to take inventory of unfinished projects for 2008. The largest unfinished project was the Sleepy LIttle Mouse project.

Mice colored and ready for some
scratching out with a razor


I had almost forgotten I had seven more little ones in bisque waiting for color. I am very happy to report that turning on the airbrush to color these last little ones was actually a happy event! I really enjoyed it. I will confess that I stayed within the brown family on these seven though. Their first coats of color were fired and then glossed. Even though I used brown in some fashion on them they all look completely different. That is good for a run like this, but very bad for an OF china run. I may have to rethink my OF china run on the rat sculpture "Listen".

I suppose that is ok and I believe OOAK are more favored and I can totally see the rat sculpture having greater appeal if each piece created is completely different. This too was another project, when I took inventory, that had been pushed on the side. This one though hadn't gotten lost in the clutter.

Rat with proposed mold lines


It was gently placed on the side because I am really undecided about the mold lines I've made. I can't seem to "see" where they need to go and I'm trying to plan the casting out on a multiple piece mold when I've only ever made a three part mold. This one is gonna be a learnin' thing. So, I just did my best with the knowledge I've gain and with the help I have received in talking with other mold makers in the model horse industry. I've taken in their words, advice and thoughts on the matter and I've let their words sink in. I've given the sinkin' enough time and now its time to just "do" and that is my main project for the rest of the week.

Porcelain candle holder
glowing in the dark


My other project is completion of the fall outting donation. The teapot I was hoping to donate is cracked and out. A luminary is in and if I can find some fine holiday scented candles at Bed, Bath and Beyond this week, I will be thrilled. My donation will actually look fairly good sitting on the raffle table I think. Above is a photo of how the English porcelain looks when there is a candle inside it. Don't you love that glow?

No comments: