Saturday, October 4, 2008

Happy St. Francis Day

Father blessing the animals


Today is the feast of St. Francis. A day where we remember our patron saint of animals and we give God thanks for the animals that comfort us, the animals that help us and the animals that sacrifice their bodies as food for us. It is one of my favorite feast days in my religion because I love animals. Our church loves them too and invites all pet owners to bring their animals to the church steps for a special blessing. This year there were many dogs, guinea pigs, a parrot and even one little itty bitty turtle that came to be blessed.

Toby (who is displaying
his best "dainty hand")
and Odin before leaving.


We have so many animals in our household, but this year I decided to have my two beloved ratties Toby and Odin blessed. I have grown so attached to these two animals in our household that it seemed fitting to take them. Both rats are approximately 1 1/2 years old which, by rattie standards, is "getting up in years". I know most will be reading this entry with disgust and it will send a shiver down your spine. I respect that. If you can, just think of them like a really large hamster with a really long tail. The best way I can describe the appeal for these animals is that they are like having the best attributes of a dog and a cat all rolled up in one and when you bond it is really strong.

This is probably one of my most favorite prayers. So it is fitting I include it today. Have a wonderful day and be sure you hug all your pets today.

~THE PRAYER OF ST. FRANCIS~

Lord, make me a channel of thy peace,
that where there is hatred, I may bring love;
that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness;

that where there is discord, I may bring harmony;
that where there is error, I may bring truth;
that where there is doubt, I may bring faith;

that where there is despair, I may bring hope;
that where there are shadows, I may bring light;
that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.

Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted;
to understand, than to be understood;
to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.

It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to Eternal Life.

No comments: