Sunday, January 22, 2012

Miniature Inspirations

Nothing escapes creative
inspirations here in this home.


I have always been captivated by miniatures. My favorite childhood toys to play with were Breyer horses and Matchbox cars. My brother and I would spend hours making tiny roads, houses and towns in the dirt and mud for our Matchbox cars. (Hands off the golden Porche 928 bro! That one's mine!)

And my Breyers proved to be a constant source of fascination and entertainment for me as large boxes were turned into stables with dividers and hay bins for my ponies to live in. Ordinary objects from the trash were also transformed into usable miniature items during play time. So it wasn't too shocking for me to see my own son poking about in the recycling bin recently looking for items for his play time.

Yesterday evening I was greatly inspired by photos of a dollhouse owned (and continually being decorated) by friend and fellow equine artist Joanie Berkwitz. She started sharing some photos (and documented some of the progress on her blog: Yasha's Bonsai Blog.) of her newly renovated dollhouse and as the threads were coming up online I was just floored at the detail and all these memories of childhood came rushing in. Of course my head began to swim in all new directions as I am coming to learn that there are artisans who cater to this industry of miniature. At the moment I am totally holding any thoughts of making teeny tiny miniatures at bay because at this point I can't even begin to think of putting another poker in the fire here. But I have to wonder; does her house have a mouse? lol

"Pause"
Graphite and watercolor on archival bristol


"Ideas are the mightiest influence on earth. One great thought breathed into a man may regenerate him." ~William Ellery Channing

No comments: