Tuesday, January 17, 2012

As The Fixatives Dry

Fixatives used to adhere pastel dust
or dry pigments to resins/plastics


Fixatives are a huge part of the painting technique I work in. Without proper fixatives the pigment/pastel dust won't stick and the desired effect is less than. I figured showing exactly what I use may help those following the blog tutorial. The Citadel is ordered straight from Games Workshop and the other two fixatives can be purchased at most craft stores like Michaels or AC Moore. All companies producing these fixatives DO keep changing the formulas because of health regulations. In a few months or another year these products (in particular the Citadel) will probably be discontinued so if reading much after this has been posted try and find the equivalent.

Of course, once the piece is sprayed there is a bit of down time. During that down time I mostly poke about with new studio items (aka..paper or art supplies). I should get the studio organized, but what fun is there in that?

My most recent paper acquisitions in the bargin bins at Michael's Art proved to be very satisfying. Lord knows I don't need any more journals or printed paper but they are lovely and I'm very inspired.

Inspiring paper goods


Oooh Sir, you were very slow in taking
my FedEx package so slow I had time to draw you.
You're lucky you had a very interestingly shaped head.



Lunch at shop.
Trying desperately to embrace full scenes.
By my 1000th try I should get it.


"Day dreaming"
Graphite and watercolor on archival bristol


My dreams were all my own; I accounted for them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed - my dearest pleasure when free.
~ Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley.

No comments: