Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Palomino Pony

"Johann" resin painted in
mixed media


A palomino pony has been the cause of many frustrating days for me in the studio as of late. The color wouldn't stick, and then the color was too yellow and then it was too brown and then it was too orange and then, I just left him in the corner.

Yeah, he was punished!

After leaving him for days and coming back with a fresh eye I decided that some purple would probably fix all his problems and it did. Light purple washes throughout along with some Pearl Ex Inference gold helped salvage this guy. After all was said and done he has turned out to be one of my favorite pieces I've ever painted. I learned a good deal of patience with him.

More views of Johann:







"The Kiss"
Graphite and watercolor on archival bristol


"How did it happen that their lips came together? How does it happen that birds sing, that snow melts, that the rose unfolds, that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes of trees on the quivering summit of the hill? A kiss, and all was said." ~ Victor Hugo

No comments: